More of a Sicilian in origin, this is a wonderful salad to prepare when you can find blood red oranges. Fresh, citrusy, refreshing and nourishing, this is always a crowd pleaser and the presentation is off the hook thanks to all of the vibrant colors. Because of its different textures and flavors you can serve this either after a dish of pasta or along a grilled piece of fish or meat.
Serves: 4-6 / Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 3 oranges, peeled and sliced into thin rings
- ½ red onion, sliced very thin
- 1 bulb of fennel, cleaned well and thinly sliced
- 4 cups baby arugula
- ¼ cup olive oil cured olives, pits removed, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1Place orange slices, red onion, fennel, arugula, olives in a large bowl and toss. Toss with olive oil and lemon juice right before serving. Season salad with just a touch of salt and pepper. Use strips of zest to garnish the plate.
NOTE: Zest the oranges before peeling to use as a garnish.