To be honest, Italians don’t care about salad. It is usually seved as a side and never, ever ordered instead of pasta or steak like they do here in the states. This salad is an easy way to make something typically boring more appetizing. My mom used to badger me to eat my salad when I was younger. I needed my vegetables, you know the drill. When I grew up, her nagging stayed with me and I came up with a tasty salad that I actually enjoy eating. This is fresh and has a wonderful taste.
Chopped Hearts of Romaine
Serves: 6 / Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 3 hearts of romaine, chopped into bite size pieces
- Salsa Verde, recipe follows
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Shaved Parmesan
Yields: 1 cup / Prep Time: 5 minutes
- 2 oil packed anchovies chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1/3 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Chopped Hearts of Romaine Salad
1Toss romaine with enough dressing to coat. Top with pine nuts and shaved Parmesan.
1Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. Can be kept refrigerated in a covered container for up to 3 days.